Friday, March 6, 2009

CET 项目

I would like to make it known that this program is really cool. The program staff care more about my problems even than I do, and that's not an exaggeration. Examples:
-The other day, the dorm next door started broadcasting some music at around 10:00 PM. This did not particularly bother me. The next day however, our Resident Director asked me if there had been a problem, and then informed me he had already taken care of it. How did he know? How did he fix it?? I can't say I know.
-As for an issue that actually gave me cause for concern, consider my placement in business class. Originally, there was only one class, and I seriously didn't understand a goddamn thing the teacher said. Clearly, the class was composed of two slow kids and three capable individuals, with yours truly fitting squarely in the first and failure-destined category. AND THEN, the CET academic director and co. organized an additional class for just the two of us. I can learn now! This was a couple weeks ago and I am so so happy about it. Business for slow kids yay!

The point is, CET cares about us, both in terms of education and extracurricular life. If they didn't give us the silly idea to ascribe to a freakin' language pledge, I think I'd want to take them home with me. I like studying here.

...On the other hand, I'm 95% certain that one of my teachers asked me if I'd choose to keep the baby if I had to make that choice right now. I was like, um...yes? wtf you're my teacher? Awesome China, awesome.

Snow melted but then more came,
China-Cat

3 comments:

  1. I was happy to hear that the program organizers take such good care of you, but lol is the closest I could get to "happy for you"

    This is the first time I've ever looked at a "blog" in my life - you've inspired me to move into the 21st century.
    Love, Aunt Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is rather unfair that you don't get to speak English ever in China, but the hordes of Chinese students in my school speak nothing but their native language.

    Annoyed at the Chinese yammering outside of my door in my echo-tastic hallway,
    Bunny :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sort of reminds me of the first few classes in Urban Sociology, which is not really my kind of thing (at least that's what I thought at the time; not sure if that's changed), with Prof. Glock, who had done her PHD at Columbia (btw, we all spoke English in class). The students were whining about the workload (myself included) and how the people at the program obviously didn't want us to do ANY sightseeing or cultural experiences whatsoever, minus major breaks and official trips....

    The director was like, "this is a elite program with high standards," blah blah Barbara (that's her name). This'd be fine if this wasn't a specifically study abroad program where we're supposed to not spend all of our time reading and writing for class (especially in English, which I can do perfectly well back home). Especially considering the one assignment from Glock that was ~140 pages for one class (normal classes 50-60+).

    So basically the prof.s got their minds on this planet and reduced the workload (point for us). This was most hilarious with the pop culture class which was already easier than getting out of bed and to the center in the morning.

    Moral of the story is not at this time obvious, but whatever. Basically, you'll find a way to deal or overpower their resolve to work you like crazy (is this harder with Germans or Chinese?).

    by the way, hi there!

    ReplyDelete