Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Been Slackin'

On posting, not in classes people.

We're list-forming this one:

1. People are capable of adapting to cold climes! There are big thick blankets draped over all entry doors to keep the cold out/ heat in. At restaurants, they serve hot water rather than ice water. Who knew!

2. Today, I had a conversation with a Russian student who is also studying Chinese here. This was really cool because without Chinese, we would have been completely incapable of communicating at all. Mark today on your calendars as the first recorded instance of my Chinese actually facilitating communication rather than hindering it. Furthermore, he was cute.

3. Countries are stupid. The other day I helped a man who was staying at the dorm for a few days communicate to the Chinese front desk people that he needed his wife's room key because she was asleep and he couldn't get in. He spoke a little English, I translated for him, etc. This was definitely another very cool language experience. While were waiting for the fuwuyuar to come back with the key, I asked him where he was from and he responded "Iran. You?" I said "America" and then there was this 30 second awkward silence as we tried to figure out what this information meant. It was really weird to feel preconceived notions come crashing into a conversation like that, and I'm still not certain what it means.

4. I was really homesick on Sunday afternoon. All the homework in the world, mediocre grades to show for it, freaking cold again, etc. My roommate, who is awesome, apparently knows the cure for homesickness like any good boy scout, namely to go do something. She took me to a tea house and we had a happy, chill conversation with the owner and I didn't understand much of it but the tea was really good and the cups were super tiny and cute. I felt so much better afterwards, and today this BTSR commissioner is top of the world again.

5. A word to the wise: If you are in a place where YOU are a tourist attraction, do NOT go to a tourist attraction!! This weekend we went to St. Sophia Church here in Harbin, and I swear I was surrounded by cameras! People were taking pictures of me, people were asking to take their picture with me, people were saying "look at the beautiful Russian girl! (eh, suibian)," then they find out I can understand them? HOLY CRAP IT'S AMAZING! It was ridiculous! Paparazzi!! I'm not just playing this up I swear. I started making weird faces in people's pictures...that was fun. Ahaha show those to the folks at home.

6. If I walk in to the wrong bathroom because it's labeled wrong in English and Chinese, that is minus one point for your country.

Didn't wear long underwear today (because it's laundry day),
China-Cat

2 comments:

  1. TMI on the long underwear. And I can see you making funny faces in people's photos. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, it's actually really cold for Houston right now. try 45 degrees. Fuhhh...ch. plus wind and rain. Students all around the world have way too much work. I'm currently (not) working on a Candide essay to be followed by an Invisible Man essay, to be followed by internship resume writing, to be followed by play rehearsal (Jones space musical!), to be followed by research paper topic choosing.

    But hey, c'est la vie.
    btw, I'm the Medic in Vehicula Justicis. Yay!
    tell me if you see any interesting theater/musicals in China. :)

    ReplyDelete