Monday, April 27, 2009

It's late; I'm tired

BUT

I gotta write y'all, so much has happened as of late. Summary form again:

1. You know what I miss most about the US of A? MEXICO! Oh man what I wouldn't give to hear someone throw out an "hola" greeting, or for a taste of some thick and chunky salsa on my sizzlin' fajitas. In fact, my Shanghai friend came to visit and I just asked him to bring me TORTILLAS, which are about the most awesome thing that has happened to me since..um..
2. My Shanghai friend came to visit! Mr. Fangming, or Michael as he's known at Rice, started out in 101 with me at Rice and has been studying in Shanghai for the YEAR. Nuts I know. Anyway, we had a fabulous Russian-oriented weekend which included PANCAKES WITH SWEET MILK and
4. MORE LANGUAGES THAN YOUR DICTIONARY HAS ROOM FOR! Get this- we went to a Russian restaurant where the menu was written in Russian and Chinese, the head lady taking our orders spoke Russian and a little Chinese (and English?), our interpreter-waitress spoke Russian and some English, and we speak English and Chinese. MAN was that fun. Go back and read it again. Maybe the best thing that happened all weekend except for
3. Feeding tigers! That's right, I held a strip of over-sized bacon and a FREAKIN' TIGER ATE IT OFF THE STICK. CRAZY! Harbin's tiger park has about 200 tigers, and we took a bus ride through their various habitats, watched one eat a live chicken- let me tell you that's a sucky (and surprisingly slow) way to go- and then got up close and personal to feed them. I love China.
4. But sometimes, China really sucks. Last week, a 哈工大 student committed suicide, and how did the student body find out? A memorial? Official condolences? No, of course not. We found out through the grapevine because publicizing that sort of event would make the university lose face. Um, maybe it should? I'm just saying. China, that's crazy.
5. Another example, the environmentalist club on campus. Every year, they host an awesome Earth Day tree planting activity. Students volunteer, pay 10 kuai for supplies, and then go to a place outside the city and plant trees! The same place every year! Because no one takes care of the trees after planting them! So they ALL get blown down or die EVERY year! Good thing- after all, we want to be able to help the environment again next year! And all the students know about this situation! (Secretly..this cracks me up. Oh, China.)
6. Points for China though, Harbin used to have a pretty substantial (Russian) Jewish (refugee) population, and apparently the Chinese welcomed them with open arms. The Jewish peeps established some very advanced and successful industries, built a lot of important buildings...who knew! Harbin's New Jewish Synagogue museum that's who. Coooool.
7. The CET students and roomies played pictionary last week. Oh right, pictionary in Chinese. So basically, this means you're trying to guess Chinese words for badly drawn objects as fast as possible. I would like to recount my moment of triumph, which consisted of shouting "WHY DID THE CHICKEN CROSS THE ROAD!" in broken Chinese. Okay, okay, it wasn't right, but it was definitely on the right track, 说明 point for the girls team.
8. One-on-one teacher used the example "Cat's Chinese level is sufficient" and gave me a present today. Making progress!

Nine degrees; too hot,
China-Cat

4 comments:

  1. ok, I just checked the weather thingie you have attached to this blog, and it says it's quite nice in good ol' Harbin. So, that is an improvement, right ???

    and I totally understand the urge to yell "why did the chicken cross the road" during a game of strange pictionary. Really, I do. What was it that you and sarah Fry yelled out after two pencil strokes one time ? Chocolate Moose?
    Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M GLAD TO HEAR THAT CHINA IS LEADING THE WAY IN ENVIRONMENTALISM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're too funny cat. stop being so funny, b/c when I start cracking up out of nowhere then I have to explain why to my roommate, and most of the time she doesn't get it/I simply can't explain. this has happened more than a couple times already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. carol that was not cat and sarah it was kendal and sarah;

    ReplyDelete